Monday, June 9, 2014

Too much technology can be harmful to people -Yuna Tsushima



 

As technology has been developed, digital devise is becoming closer and closer to people’s life. Now we can have not only smartphone, but also tablet and even some refrigerators have monitor and some kind of connection to the internet. With these device, we can connect to our friends through SNS and texting at anytime and anywhere. Many people are addicted to digital device and SNS recently, and it is really harmful in some points. They are getting stress from overloaded information and they feel anxiety when they cannot connect to the internet. According to research, with more time spending to communicate with people on the internet than directly or talking on the phone, the communication ability will decline. And surprisingly, unhappy people spend 30% more time watching TV than happy people do. I don’t know whether I am a happy person or not, but I don’t watch TV almost at all. Yet the author states that we can get away from laptop or smartphone anytime we want. Actually, now I can’t. I will get away from my laptop and never touch it for at least 1 week after I finish my spring quarter.

Although I really do not like and am poor at laptop, my smartphone has been almost a part of my body. I can unlock the password and open some my favorite applications without having a look at the screen. I know I am seriously addicted to my smartphone. I think this is really bad. I feel people are losing something because of the digital device. Before cell phones became common, we had to call to home phone when we want to contact to friends. We could not chat online so I imagine that the time to spend with friends were more worth than that of now. Now we can text each other all the day, and watch our friend’s life on SNS. The way of communication is changing apparently, and I cannot imagine what it will be like fifty years later. Therefore. I am somehow afraid of technological development.

Since I am using my phone depending on Wi-Fi now, the time I can use my phone is relatively limited. The Wi-Fi at my host family’s house had been broken for over a half month in May. At first, I felt anxiety and got stressed. But after a few days, I got use not to use my phone and could have my own time. I could think deeply, feel independent, released and relaxed. It was really inconvenient because I could not do my homework at home, search something I want to know about, or even check the weather forecast but I learned that it is not so bad just to relax without any connection to internet. I will buy some books to read in my free time and try to stay away from my phone as much as I can in the coming vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment